Primary Practice Areas
- Real estate (including agriculture and commercial operations)
- Natural resources
- Commercial transactions and business entities
Real estate transactions focus on representation of land owners and mineral developers, including coal, oil, and gas, as needed to enable optimum value to be derived from both the surface and the mineral estates. This practice area includes negotiating agreements between buyers and sellers and lessors and lessees, preparing documents to reflect those agreements, and assisting the parties and other advisors in completing the transactions. The services include selecting and creating entities, accomplishing like-kind exchanges as indicated, preparing conveyancing documents, and determining and evaluating real estate title matters.
Commercial transactions address the purchase, sale, and financing of business entities and assets, negotiation of credit facilities, advising buyers, sellers, and lenders, and preparation and execution of documents to accomplish the transactions.
Business transactions contemplate advising parties regarding integrated business operations, including forms of business entities, multi-generational aspects of business transactions, business succession considerations, shifting control among multiple generations, and probate and related tax issues that may impact decisions.
- B.S. degree from Purdue University, 1971
- J.D. degree from Indiana University-Indianapolis Law School, 1974.
- Indiana, 1974
- United States Federal District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 1974
- Illinois, 2011
Presentations and Articles
John has served on the faculties for, presented at, and submitted written articles for Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum seminars related to real estate, probate, mineral law, and estate planning, including:
- Simple (?) Wills, 2000
- Making the Buck-Passing the Buck, 2002 (Chair)
- Understanding and Negotiating Oil and Gas Leases, 2004
- Multiple Party Accounts, 2005
- Family Business Transfer Planning—A Case Review, 2005
- Energy and Mineral Law of Indiana, 2008 (Co-Chair)
- Residential Buyer, Mortgagee, Construction Contract, and Mineral Issues, 2009
- Transferring Title to Decedents’ Real Property Interests, 2010 (Evansville Bar Association)
- Compelling Coal Development: The Recalcitrant and/or Missing Co-Owner, 2012
- Negotiating Oil and Gas Leases—The Landowner’s Perspective, 2015
- Energy, Oil and Gas Update, 38th Annual Judge Robert H. Stanton Indiana Law Update, 2016
Professional Associations and Recognitions
- Member, Greene County, Indiana, Bar Association
- Member, Indiana Bar Association
- Member, Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Associate member, Indiana Coal Council
- Bar Registry of Preeminent Lawyers
- Worldwide Registry
John and his wife, Debi, live in rural Greene County, where they raised three children and where their grandchildren live a four-wheeler ride away.